Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hasta la vista, babies

One door closes as another opens...

 










 After over a year in South America, I moved back to my parents' place in the New Jersey suburbs to start the fiance visa process for Raul. Sure, it wasn't easy to go from total independence in a foreign country to the squareness of my childhood bedroom, but it also wasn't as shameful as most Americans take it to be. In fact, it was a blessing to live with my mom, dad and sister, Rosalia, again (I call it the "bonus round"). Raul soon joined our home, and between hundreds of ping-pong games with papá and countless sobremesas, he truly became a part of the family. These goodbyes were the hardest I've ever known. Now that we embark on our journey westward, we are grateful to our friends and family for the celebrations we shared and the support we receive on our new venture. San Francisco, here we come!

Papi, these photographs are dedicated to you (o sea, solo las buenas)-- your dedication to photography is my inspiration. You can see his daily photo postings here.

Mami, there is no one in the world more supportive than you. We'll miss your company and I'm sure Raul will compare everything I cook to your delicious food! Lucky me.



Bye, sweet Sadie.


The thing about saying bye to a dog is that you don't know how much they understand. Mona was nervous seeing all the boxes and packed bags, hopefully her memory is short enough that she won't miss us too much! I know we will.


It was so fun seeing Rosalia and Raul, the two Tauruses, getting to know each other. These stubborn, loving creatures became the best cuñados.

I have to quote what Rosalia wrote on her Facebook for me, because I couldn't have said it any better:
In the midst of growth and transition, family is our heart, our temple, and where we owe all of our gratitude. As you make your trip cross country to San Francisco, Alex, I am overwhelmed with the thought that we won't see each other every day, but I know that you are me and I am you because we come from the same root. Your accomplishments are mine, and my accomplishments are yours. I am so proud of my hermana. I love you to the moon and back!



Okay, can we go yet? Our little Pontiac Vibe, fresh from the dealership, is overflowing with stuff and good energy.

Bye, chuni!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog, Alex. I am glad I got to know you and Raul a little bit. Safe travels! I wish you all the best in San Francisco and in life.

    ReplyDelete